Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package

From: Protesilaos Stavrou
Subject: Re: [ELPA] Add 'pulsar' package
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2022 08:43:19 +0200

On 2022-03-16, 16:05 +0000, Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> wrote:

>>> I have no real opinion on this, I just wanted to bring it up in case you
>>> hadn't considered it before (and also because in this case, at least from
>>> what I understand the package does, it should be rather easy).
>>
>> I think a standalone package and a patch for 'master' are not mutually
>> exclusive.  As I wrote before, we can deprecate pulsar when Emacs 29 is
>> the new stable and has this functionality built-in.
>>
>> As for whether such a patch would be easy, I admit that I do not know
>> how best to implement it.  If you or anyone else can write such a patch,
>> please do it.
>
> I guess it might depend on how many features you want to re-implement in
> the core. Please don't misinterpret this, but I think that the core
> functionality, pulsing a line after certain commands, could be done by
> providing a single user option, with a custom setter.

As I wrote before, I do not know how best to do this in core.  This is
not me faking ignorance to support a different opinion: I genuinely do
not know how to do this with a single option.  Please do it if you
can---it will also help me learn something new.

At any rate, this is not what this thread is about.  I think pulsar
belongs in the archive.  I post on emacs-devel to give others a chance
to point out any obvious flaws with the package.  If there are none, the
patch must be installed in elpa.git (I have write access and can do that
myself, if needed).

There are people who are already using pulsar and I believe there is no
technical reason why it should not be in GNU ELPA.

To your point though about patching the core, I repeat what I already
stated in unequivocal terms: I will deprecate pulsar when the Emacs
version that includes its functionality becomes the stable version of
Emacs.  Until then, the package has a good reason to exist and be
readily available.

--
Protesilaos Stavrou
https://protesilaos.com