Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completions-customs'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: master 15ac51e0fd: Merge branch 'feature/completions-customs'
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2022 14:35:19 +0100

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> IHMO this should be off by default.  It wastes a line of space in the
> completions buffer for no real gain, and it's distracting.

It used to be:

----
Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

Possible completions are:
----

And now it's:

----
Click on a completion to select it.
In this buffer, type RET to select the completion near point.

134 possible completions:
----

So it doesn't waste any space, and it provides more information.

I'd rather do something about the first three lines, though.  Either
remove them completely (it's pretty self-evident that that's what you do
in that buffer, and especially now that you get mouse/point highlights,
indicating that things are "buttons").

Perhaps it might make sense to remove all four lines, and put the number
of completions in the mode line instead.

> Also, I don't know which part of this change causes the following
> behavior, but if I say M-x and then press TAB twice, the item at the
> start of the window displaying the completions buffer becomes
> highlighted, even though it isn't selected.  That should also be off by
> default, since it's an unnecessary visual distraction.

Yes, that's somewhat confusing.  Would it be possible to not activate
the point highlight before the user has selected the completions window
(one way or another)?