Re: master 371c4f642a 1/2: Add new commands to zoom emojis

From: Arash Esbati
Subject: Re: master 371c4f642a 1/2: Add new commands to zoom emojis
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2022 09:15:59 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Arash Esbati <arash@gnu.org>
>> Cc: larsi@gnus.org,  juri@linkov.net,  emacs-devel@gnu.org
>> Date: Mon, 04 Jul 2022 20:06:33 +0200
>>
>> Thanks, that did the trick.  Is this the intended behavior of this
>> command?
>
> Which command?

I meant `emoji-zoom-increase' and I was looking for what you wrote
below.

> What your fontset customization did was force Emacs to always use a
> font of a fixed size for these characters.

Thanks, I didn't know that.

> I wonder why you did that: it's a strange thing to do.  Did you really
> want to have Emoji displayed at size different from the other
> characters?

Yes, it was intentional.  I have this in my .emacs:

(custom-set-faces
 '(default ((t (:family "Source Code Pro Medium"
                :foundry "outline"
                :slant normal
                :weight medium
                :height 90
                :width normal)))))

I reduced the size of Emojis in order to harmonize the line height
between the lines with and without Emojis.  I wasn't aware that :size
means "fixed size".

Is there another way to tell Emacs "Use a reduced size for Emojis, but
be flexible when requested otherwise?"  So basically behave like the
definition above for `default'?

Best, Arash