Re: [C source] What is gravity and the change_gravity argument?

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: [C source] What is gravity and the change_gravity argument?
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2022 21:05:17 +0800

Akib Azmain Turja <akib@disroot.org> writes:

> X and PGTK uses that 'change_gravity' argument, I can't understand what
> they are doing with them.  I searched the internet and found several
> answers[1], but couldn't make any sense.

`change_gravity' means to actually change the position of the frame's
outer window, and to reset the window gravity to NorthWestGravity.  If
it is 0, then we ignore the value of xoff and yoff, preserve the current
window gravity, and simply restore the previously set frame position.

X has two gravities: the window gravity and bit gravity.  The window
gravity defines how a window is repositioned when its parent is resized.
The bit gravity describes how the contents of the window are moved or
obscured when it is resized.

I think the values are quite self explanatory.