Re: master 118e05f570 2/2: New user option browse-url-guess-default-sche

From: Bob Rogers
Subject: Re: master 118e05f570 2/2: New user option browse-url-guess-default-scheme
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 13:40:38 -0400

   From: Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com>
   Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2022 09:59:40 -0700

   Bob Rogers <rogers@rgrjr.com> writes:

   > Seems to me we should push the guessing off onto the browser if
   > possible?

   What do you mean?

I mean that if given just a domain, or even a partial domain, browsers
have gotten to be pretty smart about guessing which schemes to try,
e.g. preferring HTTPS over HTTP, and whether to prefix "www." or "ftp.",
etc.  Better if emacs doesn't try to duplicate that.

   On the other hand, anyone thinks there are security problems with
guessing at this point, perhaps it is better not to do anything with
partial URLs, and leave it up to the user.

                                        -- Bob