Re: Emacs Manual under a categorisation scheme

From: Christopher Dimech
Subject: Re: Emacs Manual under a categorisation scheme
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 19:16:35 +0200

> Sent: Wednesday, July 13, 2022 at 5:06 AM
> From: "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>
> To: "Christopher Dimech" <dimech@gmx.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Emacs Manual under a categorisation scheme
>
> > From: Christopher Dimech <dimech@gmx.com>
> > Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> > Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 18:57:20 +0200
> >
> > > I don't think I understand what kind of category system do you have in
> > > mind.  Please elaborate and/or show an example.
> >
> > One could arrange either by difficulty or frequency.
> >
> > Basically, using a higher level categorisation to the 54 chapters, with each
> > high level category being independent of the others.  One can then quickly
> > skip whole categories one is not interested in, even when using the manual
> > on
> > the website.
> >
> > 1. Comprehending the Graphical Display
> > 2. Running Commands (by Name, using Minibuffer read and completion)
> > 3. Editing Commands (moving and killing text)
> > 4. Using and Controlling the Graphical Display (buffer, window, frame)
> > 5. Major and Minor Modes
> > 6. Using Help
> > 7. Programming and Markup Modes
> > 8. Compiling, Testing, and Maintaining Programs
> > 9. Running Shell Commands
> > 10. Calendar, Diary, Document Viewing
> > 10. Web Applications (EWW, Mail)
> > 11. Emacs Customisation
> > 12. Handling Problems (crashes, reporting bugs)
>
> I don't see how this is significantly different from the chapters we
> have now.  You can categorize Emacs in any number of ways, but the one
> we have is IMNSHO completely adequate.  What you propose is also
> adequate (although incomplete, so I cannot easily judge it except as
> an example), but I don't see why it is superior.

Yes, it is as an example as I agree it is not complete.  It is a higher
level categorisation without changing the actual chapters you have now.

It was a response on some user comments stating that the whole lot looks
overwhelming.

You could also make a number of scenarios on what the user wants to search
so he can be directed to the relevant information faster.