Re: Size of xterm.c doubled since Emacs 28

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Size of xterm.c doubled since Emacs 28
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 09:00:23 +0800

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed that xterm.c has seen a lot of activity recently, and
> increased in size from ~14,000 lines to ~28,000 lines of code between
> emacs-28 and master.  I wanted to ask if parts of that file should
> perhaps better be put in one or more separate files, for the usual
> reasons.

Most of that is taken up by the drag-and-drop code and the input
extension code.

There is no chance of the input extension code being put in a separate
file until someone redoes the X terminal code from scratch (which isn't
likely.)

The drag-and-drop code also needs very detailed interaction with the
event loop, and proved to be too difficult to place in a separate file
when I first wrote it.

But on the bright side, the size of the file hasn't really proven to be
a problem.