Re: Implementing child frames on terminal

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Implementing child frames on terminal
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2022 08:56:33 +0300

> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> Cc: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>,  akib@disroot.org,  emacs-devel@gnu.org,
>   ibluefocus@outlook.com
> Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2022 21:55:16 -0400
>
> >> Someone might want a popup implemented as a child frame to extend past
> >> the bounds of the parent, for example.
> > Why would they want that?
>
> I can imagine a situation where a tty frame is split into two windows
> and some company/corfu-style completion wants to popup a child-frame to
> show completion candidates (basically like a menu), and if the
> completion is near the split between the two windows, it would be
> natural for that child-frame to extend into the other window if that can
> make its contents more readable.  It would even feel odd if that
> child-window were restricted to fit within its "parent" window.

Such popups must be limited in their height anyway, so I see no
problem in limiting them to their parent frame.

(I also don't think child frames are the right basis for implementing
such popups: they will look ugly.  Emacs frames are not suited for
emulating GUI dialog widgets.)

> BTW We currently see "the same" with your menubar code in ttys, where the
> menus aren't restricted to live within one of the existing windows
> either, instead they're overlayed above the windows without regards for
> the existing window splits.

But they never cross the frame's border, which is what this discussion
is about.  More importantly, I very much doubt that we'd want the
child frames on TTYs to have the same limitations as TTY menus must
abide by.