Re: Thoughts on Refactoring In-Buffer Completion In message.el

From: Alexander Adolf
Subject: Re: Thoughts on Refactoring In-Buffer Completion In message.el
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 15:58:13 +0200

It's too hot to think today. I deserve to correct myself in two points.

Alexander Adolf <alexander.adolf@condition-alpha.com> writes:

> [...] I.e. there would not be any "degradation" in terms of
> end-user functionality (same set of completion candidates as before),
> and additional sources like e.g. LDAP, and macOS Contacts would become
> available "for free" by calling eudc-query-with-words with its new
> TRY-ALL-SERVERS parameter set to t.

Nope.

Instead of eudc-query-with-words, the call would go to
eudc-capf-message-expand-name from eudc-capf.el, of course. I'd add two
new, optional parameters BEG and END to eudc-capf-message-expand-name,
so the prefix bounds can be passed down from message.el.

> It would seem that quite a couple of lines of code could be "commented
> out" of message.el under `(if (<= emacs-major-version 29) ...)` as a
> result of such a change.
> [...]

That doesn't seem quite right either.

Unless we're trying to plug a new message.el into an old set of lisp,
the code can simply be removed from message.el.

Hope that clarifies,

  --alexander