Re: implementing a reader macro

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: implementing a reader macro
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2022 22:51:10 +0200

Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com> writes:

> How difficult is it to implement a new reader macro for Elisp?
> The one I particularly wish to be ported from Clojure is the "discard
> macro" - `#_`. What it does is that it ignores the next form completely.

This has already been implemented more than a couple of times (but using
the Common Lisp versions of this, i.e.,

  #+nil(this is commented out)

and

  #| this too |#

Adjusting the reader to allow these forms is pretty trivial, but the
reason this hasn't been added to Emacs is that nobody has stepped up to
adjust the tooling (font locking, sexp movement, etc), too.