Re: a strange error with list-registers (and better-registers)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: a strange error with list-registers (and better-registers)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 09:57:57 -0400

Uwe Brauer [2022-07-23 07:08:36] wrote:
>    >> I see. What is not clear to me is why these text properties information
>    >> gets saved at first hand. I thought it might have to do with emacs
>    >> saving mechanism. I recall that saving registers did not cause any
>    >> problem, say in GNU emacs 26 (if I recall correctly).
>
>    > It doesn't depend on the version of Emacs, but on the values that happen
>    > to be carried in the text-properties of the text you happen to have in
>    > your registers.  Packages can put any kinds of values in any kinds of
>    > text-properties.
>

> Ok I see, it seems that the culprit would be gnus, because mostly if I
> save messages to registers, these call the problems.
>
> Is there a command like: delete all text-properties in buffer or region?

It sounds like you're asking for an immediate workaround.  This would be
more appropriate for gnu.emacs.help.

Here on emacs-devel, I'd rather focus on fixing the problem, which
requires fixing the code that saves the registers, maybe making it
filter out those properties which contain unprintable values.
But apparently, this code is not in Emacs (nor (Non)GNU ELPA)?

        Stefan