Re: Where has a cool feature gone?

From: tomas
Subject: Re: Where has a cool feature gone?
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 07:28:47 +0200

On Sun, Jul 24, 2022 at 04:22:33PM +1200, Davin Pearson wrote:
> I thought it might be easier to manually install Emacs rather
> than get some third party software for installing Emacs.

I haven't followed this thread, so I don't know about your
concrete use case. But I don't think there's a general answer
to this. Sometimes it's that way, sometimes it's this (and
I don't know what you are referring to "third party": is it
Guix or is it APT?).

And, to tell the truth, there's always some third party involved:
I do install Emacs from source, but am happy my distribution
provides me with a pre-built buildchain (gcc, Make, autoconf,
what not) so I don't have to do the full bootstrap. All is, as
they say, relative ;-)

Cheers