Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Make etags recognize 'ert-deftest' by default in .e

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: FEATURE REQUEST: Make etags recognize 'ert-deftest' by default in .el files
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 08:46:05 +0300

> From: Robert Weiner <rsw@gnu.org>
> Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 18:25:16 -0400
>
> ert.el is a standard testing framework in Emacs which uses 'ert-deftest' to
> define test functions.  Because it
> does not begin with 'def', it is not recognized as a definition by etags and
> libraries or packages with many
> tests will not have these show up for navigation when using default calls to
> etags.
>
> I would suggest one of two solutions:
>
> 1.  Modify etags to automatically recognize such definitions by default.  (I
> tried using the --regex option but
> had little luck with that due to it not liking an opening paren without a
> closing one in the regex).
>
> 2. Add an alias of 'def-ert-test' and suggest people use that instead so that
> it is picked up by etags.  #1 is
> obviously better given the number of existing test definitions that exist
> already.

Please show what you tried with --regex, I think this is the easiest
solution (we already do something similar to recognize DEFVAR_* in C
sources, see src/Makefile.in).

Thanks.

P.S. Feature requests are best submitted as bug reports, so that our
issue tracker records the discussion and gives it an ID for future
references.  Would you please convert this to such a bug report?