Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Loading tramp for dump goes into infinite regress
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 19:31:00 +0300

> From: Lynn Winebarger <owinebar@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2022 12:20:47 -0400
> Cc: michael.albinus@gmx.de, emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> it seems like something undesirable is going on between dumping and
> the native compilation unit.

I find this hard to believe.

Btw, you are aware that dumping *.eln files basically dumps just their
names, not their code?  And that, when you start Emacs after dumping,
it will load all of those *.eln files one by one, which takes time
(*.eln files are just shared libraries, like *.so files), and use up
shared-library and handle slots of the Emacs process?  So I'm not even
sure doing this would make sense from the performance POV: it could be
that startup will slower, not faster.

In any case, I'd suggest to get this working with *.elc files in a
build without native compilation support, before you try it with
native compilation.