Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Make all tree-sitter modes optional
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 2023 12:30:26 +0100

Hi Eli,

Eli writes:
> Why would it confuse?  You also have there stuff like w32-win.el.gz,
> which is used only on MS-Windows, and other files that are not
> necessarily for your configuration.  This is not a problem, and
> shouldn't be one.

I don't know, maybe for me there is a difference between the OS specific stuff, tree-sitter and other stuff in Emacs:

tree-sitter modes 'compete' with 'regular' modes and if I don't have tree-sitter activated at compile time, it can be misleading to see those files there and 'sub-optimal' (to say the least) to get a message that you can't use them.
OS related stuff is different in the sense that, well, if I'm on a Linux system and try to use (you say the OS)-specific features, it is natural that I get a 'wake-up' message there and stop trying to do things that make no sense.
As for the rest, having dormant features that _work_ (or are WIP with a level of maturity enough to be in master) and only wait for me to test them and activate them if they help me in my day-to-day interactions with Emacs, of course, put 10^n n->infinity of those in Emacs, no problem.

In that sense, if there was a way to disregard *-ts-*.el files in ELC/ELN compilation and installation when I compile Emacs _without_ tree-sitter support, the whole picture would be (once again, IMvHO) much more coherent.

Thanks for your patience, /PA

On Fri, 20 Jan 2023 at 20:13, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
> From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2023 17:31:44 +0100
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
> Thanks for that :-)
> It's a first step. However, the *-ts-mode.el files still go through the .el compilation, yielding error messages
> during the compilation.

What error messages?  Please show them, we cannot possibly guess what
messages do you see.

And why is it a problem that the *.el files are being compiled as part
of the build?  A build compiles all the *.el files, including ones you
will never use and ones that you cannot use (e.g., because they are
for Emacs running on other OSes).  That is never a problem.

> Additionally, they get installed in the binary distribution:
>
> emacs-29 ➤ find Emacs.app -name \*-ts-\*
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/c-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/c-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/cmake-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/cmake-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/dockerfile-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/dockerfile-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/go-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/go-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/java-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/java-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/json-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/json-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/ruby-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/ruby-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/rust-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/rust-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/progmodes/typescript-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/toml-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/toml-ts-mode.elc
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/yaml-ts-mode.el.gz
> Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/lisp/textmodes/yaml-ts-mode.elc
>
> That may be a source of confusion ...

Why would it confuse?  You also have there stuff like w32-win.el.gz,
which is used only on MS-Windows, and other files that are not
necessarily for your configuration.  This is not a problem, and
shouldn't be one.

Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden
Georg Kreisler

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet