Re: CVE-2021-36699 report

From: Nicolas Martyanoff
Subject: Re: CVE-2021-36699 report
Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 09:13:34 +0200

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> If you create a malformed dump file, of course Emacs cannot possibly
> work.  Here, the buffer overflow is not even a bug: signature checks are
> already there to prevent a dump file created for a different copy of
> Emacs from being loaded by mistake.  If you deliberately create a
> malformed dump file, Emacs does not guarantee correct operation.
Is there a reason why Emacs does not validate dump files while reading
them as any other program with any other data format? Nothing good ever
comes from buffer overflows.

> We are trying to put together two releases of a very large piece of
> software at the same time, and really should not be wasting our time on
> these CVE reports.  It would save us a great deal of trouble if whoever
> runs the CVE registry stopped tracking security ``issues'' with Emacs.
I'm aware that most people simply do not care about security, and it is
your right to do the same. However I sincerely hope it is not the view
of the GNU Emacs project in general.

--
Nicolas Martyanoff
https://n16f.net