Re: Stability of core packages

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: Stability of core packages
Date: Sun, 30 Apr 2023 09:07:10 +0000

Mohsen BANAN <emacs@mohsen.1.banan.byname.net> writes:

[...]

> Eli, if you have not used straight.el, I suggest
> experimenting with it. And again sorry about
> having been overly cryptic.

I have never used straight.el either (mainly because of the need
aggressive incompatibility with package.el and my dislike of having a
big bootstrap-blob at the beginning of my init), but I have been working
on package-vc that a lot of people have apparently been using as a
replacement for package.el.  Recently there has been some work on
supporting arbitrary build-commands that could be executed alongside the
package compilation.  I have been told that this is a major feature
difference between the current state of package-vc and the
straight/elpaca family of package managers.  As you seem to have some
experience with the topic, do you believe this could be helpful to
address your issue?  I am uncertain if this is something worth investing
an effort into, as the issues that Emacs lisp packaging struggles with
are not only those of finding a set of compatible revisions.