Re: Org breakage after rebuilding from Git

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Org breakage after rebuilding from Git
Date: Fri, 19 May 2023 09:20:11 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Org version mismatch.  Make
>> sure that correct ‘loa...")  (signal error ("Org version mismatch.
>> Make sure that correct ‘loa..."))  (error "Org version mismatch.
>> Make sure that correct `loa...")
>
> Remove all the *.elc files in lisp/org, then rebuild Emacs, and the
> problem should go away.

I've had this issue when building emacs, too, and you informed me that
there's a fix in master for that.  And indeed, emacs now builds fine.
However, my personal update script goes

  1. cd ~/Repos/el/emacs/ && git pull && make
  2. ~/Repos/el/emacs/src/emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs.d/init.el -f
package-upgrade-all

so now instead of failing in step 1 on org changes, I fail in step 2
(probably because my init.el somehow loads org) which is not better.  Is
the fix really about deferring the error from compile time to runtime?
That would help users who never ever load org, I guess, but even for
sporadic users of small parts of it like me, it's actually worse.

I guess I could add some check to my update script like

  src/emacs --batch --eval "(require 'org)" || begin rm lisp/org/*.elc && make;
end

between step 1 and 2...

Bye,
Tassilo