Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs

From: BTuin
Subject: Re: [PROPOSAL] Builder, a build system integration for Emacs
Date: Tue, 23 May 2023 23:10:17 +0200

Le 23/05/2023 à 02:44, Po Lu a écrit :
"Augustin Chéneau (BTuin)" <btuin@mailo.com> writes:

Oh I didn't mean a simple toggle, I meant an arbitrary command
variant. For instance with Builder you can define a "debug2",
"compile_arm" or any other command.

I don't understand how this works; before you can change targets, you
need to regenerate the build system for your program by running
configure.

Are you saying that in Builder, `configure' is an extra step, run each
time the target changes?

Yes, it is.

Let's illustrate with an hypothetical workflow: you work on Emacs, and you want to easily switch between multiple configurations, say "minimal" which enable very few features to ease debugging and "regular" which enable many features, such as pgtk, json, native compilation... (and possibly many other variants, there is no limit of number).

First, you execute `builder-configure' which detects the build system, finds Autotools and asks you to chose between "minimal", "regular", and others. Once you've chosen, the minibuffer is filled with the "minimal" command (for example `../configure --without-threads --without-toolkit-scroll-bars`. You press enter, the command is executed in a compile buffer.

Then, you need to compile. You call `builder-compile', and you may have to chose between multiple targets, for example "default" with the value "make" and "parallel" with the value "make -jN", N being the number of cores on you processor. Once you've chosen, the same as for configure happens, the command is executed in a compilation buffer.

If you want to change to the "regular" configuration target, you call `builder-configure` and select this target. Then, you call `builder-compile` to compile the project.

So each time you want to change the target you call `builder-configure`. But with out of tree builds, it could be possible to create one build directory for each configuration, which would remove the need to execute the configuration step each time you want to change. It's not yet available as it is really not trivial to implement, but I'll try to find a satisfying solution.