Re: emacs-29 2f94f6de9d6: Make VS-15 and VS-16 compositions work correct

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: emacs-29 2f94f6de9d6: Make VS-15 and VS-16 compositions work correctly
Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2023 12:41:35 +0200

Mattias Engdegård <mattiase@acm.org> writes:

Hi Mattias,

>> Perhaps the restriction depends on the underlying os. A check in
>> configure would be needed even more.
>
> mawk -Wversion prints:
>
> mawk 1.3.4 20200120
> Copyright 2008-2019,2020, Thomas E. Dickey
> Copyright 1991-1996,2014, Michael D. Brennan
>
> random-funcs:       unknown
> regex-funcs:        internal
> compiled limits:
> sprintf buffer      8192
> maximum-integer     2147483647
>
> Note the sprintf buffer size, the same as in the error message when
> mawk fails on emba.
>
> There may be something more than just a buffer limitation here. I
> don't know if the sprintf buffer is used for more than literal calls
> to sprintf, but they all seem to be small and well-behaved.

Just to make sure: the problem happens in the emacs-29 branch only. Eli
has merged it into master just some minutes ago.

Or it depends on the way awk is invoked when generating
lisp/international/emoji-zwj.el.

If you like to check the emba environment on your local machine, see
admin/notes/emba. It contains instructions how to build and run the
respective container emacs-inotify. Not that you need to remove gawk
from the build recipe (line 32 in Dockerfile.emba), which I have added
this morning.

Best regards, Michael.