Re: Outdated version dependencies on GnuPG 2.0 in epg-tests.el?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Outdated version dependencies on GnuPG 2.0 in epg-tests.el?
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2023 14:58:33 +0300

> Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2023 12:44:57 +0200
> From: Jens Schmidt <jschmidt4gnu@vodafonemail.de>
>
> The following test
>

> https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/test/lisp/epg-tests.el?h=master
>
> has some fixmes and describes restrictions related to GnuPG 2.0, in
> particular on Hydra CI.
>
> According to the GnuPG NEWS the first GnuPG 2.1 release dates back to
> 2014.  So probably these restrictions are outdated and could be lifted,
> at least in master?
>
> I'm asking for two reasons:
>
> 1. I could provide fixes to lift the restrictions.
>
> 2. I'd like to write tests for plstore, which uses EPG as backend, and
>     do not want to introduce such version dependencies if it can be
>     avoided.

If adapting the tests to all versions, old and new, is not too
complicated, I'd prefer not to drop support for old versions.

It's also okay to make the new tests skipped unless v2.1 or newer is
installed, especially if the features you test are supported only with
those newer versions anyway.

Thanks.