Native compilation on as default?

From: Andrea Corallo
Subject: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2023 04:44:12 -0400

Hi all,

native compilation was off by default in 28 and same will be for 29.  I
believe the 28 series proved this feature to be stable.

Also I read a number of dristros (Fedora, Debian, openSUSE, Arch,
Gentoo, NixOS, Guix) offer Emacs with native compilation on.

What about having it on as default for emacs 30?  In case two scenarios:

1- On by default when libgccjit is present otherwise off.

2- On by default and if libgccjit is not present we raise a complain at
configure time, the user can either install libgccjit or manually
indicate --with-native-compilation=no.

WDYT?

Best Regards

  Andrea