Re: Adding some convenience functions to color.el

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Adding some convenience functions to color.el
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2023 10:34:35 +0300

> From: Yilkal Argaw <yilkalargawworkneh@gmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2023 10:26:57 +0300
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
>
>   > From: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
>   > We already have color-dark-p (and color-name-to-rgb to complement it),
>    > so I'm not sure I understand the rationale for these functions.  Can
>    > you explain more why you needed them?
>
> Sorry I totally missed color-dark-p. I did not check faces.el and
> color-dark-p was in faces.el.

They are now documented in the ELisp manual.

> Having color-name-to-hsl is just a convenience function to make it easier
> when working in some
> color spaces. Because some operations are easier in certain color spaces.

color.el already provides color-rgb-to-hsl and color-hsl-to-rgb, so
you should be able to easily work in the HSL space, and still call
functions that accept RGB arguments.

IMO, we already have a large and rich collection of color-related
functions, so adding more will run the risk to increase confusion and
produce inconsistencies.  (E.g., your proposed color-name-dark-p uses
a threshold for dark vs light colors that is different from what we
use in color-dark-p.)