Re: call-process should not block process filters from running

From: Spencer Baugh
Subject: Re: call-process should not block process filters from running
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2023 09:27:58 -0400

On Wed, Jun 28, 2023 at 8:52 AM Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:

> > From: Spencer Baugh <sbaugh@janestreet.com>
> > Cc: app-emacs-dev@janestreet.com
> > Date: Tue, 27 Jun 2023 17:55:00 -0400
> >

> > When Lisp code calls call-process, then while call-process is running,
> > all Lisp is blocked from running, including process filters and timers
> > created beforehand by other Lisp.  This call-process behavior is
> > harmful, but we can fix call-process to not behave this way.
> >
> > This call-process behavior is harmful:
> > Many packages rely on their process filters and timers being able to
> > run:
> > - Packages which communicate over the network (such as ERC)
> >   rely on being able to respond to heartbeats and prevent timeouts.
> > - Packages which respond to requests from other programs (such as EXWM)
> >   rely on being able to respond to those requests.
> > A simple (shell-command "sleep 60") will cause most such packages to
> > break or behave poorly.
>
> Packages that rely on the above should be defensive in the face of
> delays, because Emacs calls blocking APIs all over the place;
> call-process is just one of them.  Moreover, a long-running Lisp
> program will also block timers and async communications, because Emacs
> can only be relied upon to run timers and read subprocess output when
> it is idle; otherwise we need some special calls or signals to arrive
> to trigger reading input that waits.
>
> Therefore, I think the above exaggerates the problem, and also
> "blames" a single API for something that is ubiquitous in Emacs Lisp
> programming and should be accounted for by any package that is
> sensitive to delays.
>
> > My suggestion is that we should create a new helper function in Lisp,
> > perhaps called "process-run", which has an identical interface as
> > call-process, except that while it is running, other process filters and
> > other Lisp are still able to run.  Then we can move users of
> > call-process over to this new function.  Most (but perhaps not all) Lisp
> > using call-process should be using process-run, since most Lisp doesn't
> > actually want to block process filters from running.
>
> I have no objections to adding new functionality that could make
> call-process less blocking (but rewriting it in Lisp based on
> make-process and accept-process-output is not the only possible
> implementation, see below).  But I am firmly against any massive
> moving of the current users of call-process to this new functionality,
> for several reasons:
>
>   . some Lisp programs might rely on the fact that no other Lisp runs
>     while the sub-process is running, and no input from any source but
>     that subprocess can arrive;
>   . using async subprocesses has its downsides:
>     - it is hard to read only from a given subprocess without causing
>       issues to other filters
>     - reading from async subprocess has known problems when you need
>       to decode its output
>     - the timing and synchronization is problematic when using
>       accept-process-output, and has its pitfalls
> [...]

This sounds great, I would be happy to implement this.  I think we
would also want a tiny wrapper in Lisp which binds this new variable
then calls call-process, rather than having lots of programs binding
the variable directly, to make it easier to change the implementation
strategy in the future.

I'll work on implementing this new variable.  If you have any other
suggestions for it, let me know.