Re: Shrinking the C core

From: Emanuel Berg
Subject: Re: Shrinking the C core
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 11:55:30 +0200

Ihor Radchenko wrote:

>>> You would at least need to convert between internal object
>>> representation in Elisp and CL.
>>
>> But why is CL so much faster to begin with?
>
> You did not yet show that CL is "much faster".

On the contrary, it is evident.

> Just that bignum implementation in CL is much faster.
> And bignum performance is not something that matters
> in practice.

Do we have a set of benchmarks in Elisp that everyone agrees
are good, and that can output data easily to show the results?
Didn't you do that with an ASCII table in a previous post?

Maybe I can use that source with minimal modifications to get
them to run in CL, so we can compare more broadly, but also in
an agreed-upon way. So it will not be about what really
matters or what people really use etc, it will only be about
performing as good as possible on those benchmarks, without
cheating obviously ;)

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal