Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Danny Freeman
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2023 09:02:20 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net>
>> Cc: emacs-devel <emacs-devel@gnu.org>,  Manuel Uberti
>>  <manuel.uberti@inventati.org>
>> Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2023 20:31:20 +0000
>>
>> Danny Freeman <danny@dfreeman.email> writes:
>>
>> > Not all of the maintainers of clojure-mode and clojure-ts-mode are on
>> > board with the core development model, particularly copyright
>> > assignment. Initially I wanted to put this straight in the core but
>> > after some discussion we decided not to. I have personally done my
>> > copyright assignment, but for clojure-ts-mode we won't be asking
>> > contributors for it. Therefore, going into GNU ELPA or core then is out
>> > of the question.
>>
>> That is a pity.  IIRC there is a SLIME-like environment for Clojure,
>> right?  I don't know if Emacs is also the conventional default
>> environment for working with the language, but if it is, it seems like
>> it would be a nice thing to have at least some basic support in the core
>> :/
>
> I agree.  Perhaps the contributions to clojure-ts-mode could be
> re-assessed: those that are small don't need copyright assignments.

I don't think it's going to be possible. Primary contributors do no want
to put this in core and do not want to require copyright assignment to
contribute to clojure-ts-mode. Clojure-mode and cider were never moved
to the core for the same reason. I have already had this conversation
with them a number of times but was unable to make a convincing
argument. And I am inclined to agree that keeping clojure-ts-mode under
the same development model as the rest of the clojure emacs packages is
the best path forward right now.

I do understand where yall are coming from in desiring to have
clojure-ts-mode in the core. Again, I advocated for doing this for a
while, but that's not the consensus among clojure emacs devs.

Thank you,
--
Danny Freeman