Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Aug 2023 17:47:43 +0000

Colin Baxter <m43cap@yandex.com> writes:

>     > Richard, what makes you believe that?  Can you provide any
>     > concrete examples of Texinfo constructs that would be simpler in
>     > Org?
>
> Perhaps this ship sailed long ago but would removing org-mode from emacs
> core go some way towards making the choice between using texinfo or
> org-mode irrelevant? As an external package, org-mode's documentation
> could then evolve independently, as its users think best.

IMHO, the problem with sources of Org manual is not that much of a big
deal. Eli favours all the manuals to be in .texi format because it is
standard. However, the current situation is certainly not _that_
unbearable to the level where we need to consider drastic measures like
removing the whole Org from Emacs. Not even close.

The far more important discussion here is about Org as potential
replacement to Texinfo (after Org is modified to support software
manual-specific markup). I am not an expert in Texinfo, so I cannot
judge if it is a good call or not.

On Texinfo side, there might be problems existing in Texinfo that will
not exist in Org, as I recall from previous discussions. But I cannot
tell any specifics.

On Org side, Org allows fine-tuned configuration of export for each
individual export target. And generating parts of the manuals
programmatically. AFAIK, this is not easily possible in Texinfo.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,