Re: Xref/Eglot feature requests and a question

From: Visuwesh
Subject: Re: Xref/Eglot feature requests and a question
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 19:36:26 +0530

[வியாழன் ஆகஸ்ட் 24, 2023] Gerd Möllmann wrote:

> 3.
>
> In C mode, Xref works using Eglot, in ELisp mode it uses something else
> (I have no tags tables).  Both work really well, but I apparently have
> to be in an ELisp buffer to use one and in a C buffer to use the other.
>
> Feature request: Is it possible to use more than one backend at the same
> time?  So that I could C-M-. to find an ELisp function while being in a
> C file?  I couldn't find something like that mentioned in the docs, so I
> guess it's not yet possible.

Fallback to other backend was discussed in bug#28407, and there's also
the xref-union [1] GNU ELPA package.  IME implementing imenu-xref for
bug#28407, etags xref backend was/is particularly annoying so I am not
sure how well xref-union will work for you if etags is not the _last_
xref backend to check.

1. https://git.sr.ht/~pkal/xref-union