Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: New Package for NonGNU-ELPA: clojure-ts-mode
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2023 04:49:32 +0300

On 28/08/2023 04:37, João Távora wrote:

The first two go GitHub's discussion facilities.  So, it's not true I
ask people to use Debbugs exclusively.  So please don't twist facts to
indulge your intuition, which is quite probably wrong in at least some
aspects.

I made that conclusion from your past statements and, yes, the README: https://github.com/joaotavora/eglot#status-of-this-github-repository

You know these low-effort users don't even read the README
(most haven't read the big letters saying that the repo isn't the
upstream anymore, so I still get GitHub PRs).  They google "Eglot", land
on the github repo, press "issues", look around, press "new issue" and
get that list.  Then they choose most likely one of the first two
bullets..

Surely what "low-effort" users do or do not do would not reflect on the number of reports in Debbugs where only "good" bug reports arrive?

and a "look it doesn't work".  They write it usually under their own name
and email address (as opposed to a somewhat anonymous alias).  I think this
is a good thing.

That's the same "50 squats" principle I mentioned previously.

I missed it, but it's not a very good sporting analogy.  50 squats are
useless unless you're some kind of gym bronco.  In contrast, spending 5
minutes reading some prose I wrote about the usual difficulties with
Eglot bug reports is not 50 squats, it is time well spent.  And not much
to request of a user of Free software about to ask for much more than 5
minutes of my mind.  It will reduce the amount of questioning and
guessing that I have to do, thus severely increasing the chances that
the report reaches some positive outcome.

The point was that any kind of barrier will filter out the less motivated, likely resulting in higher average quality.

It will filter some very good ones too, though.

Even the super-fancy super-modern JS frameworks on GitHub ask reporters
to do much more, down to actually proving their MREs in actual code.

And yet I still explicitly offer people a forum to "informally and
freely report problems".  Of course, if they just want to chat, there's
a limit on how I can help, so often I end up referring people to the
troubleshooting guide.

All good to me.

Corny as it sounds, instead advance your goals with positivity.  There
can be a better bug tracker out there, of course.  I think you should
"sit down and do the work" (TM).  If you're an expert in these things,
find a forge, implement all or at least most of the hard requirements.
Discuss (preferably offline) with the main stakeholders, show something
palpable even if not finished.  And yes, with every serious enterprise
comes the possibility of failure, partial or even total.  That's part of
the game and part of the thrill to be honest.

That almost sounds easy when you phrase it like that.

My own experience is that the projects inside the core, which were
never on Github, get incomparably less feedback. Much fewer bug
reports, questions, suggestions, and so on.

project.el (for example) is most of the time treated like a code drop
which people either use, or code around, or revert to Projectile.

What "feedback" are you looking for?  Improvements? Recognition?
(serious recognition, not silly github stars).  Scrutiny?  riticism?
All of the above?

Sure.

Not every package has to have direct feedback about it.  Some packages
are about infrastructure, and project.el is like that, partly.  Others
are about UI, like Company, so it makes sense you have more feedback
there.

I can see when people have issues, from discussions online. And in one case they ask, in the other -- more readily work around.

It's good to have discrete packages, to be honest.  Who gives
feedback on Emacs's wonderful C macrology?  Yet they use it every day.

The principle extends to all the core packages I had been paying attention to. ruby-mode and VC have graphical components as well. Xref -- even more so.