Re: Org mode and Emacs

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Org mode and Emacs
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 08:29:14 +0000

Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> writes:

>   > > That syntax would do the job, but they are more clumsy than the syntax
>   > > used by Texinfo:  @WHATEVER and @end WHATEVER.  In order for a modified
>   > > Org mode syntax to be a step up, it should look as clean as Texinfo.
>   > >
>   > > Might it be posisble to simplify the syntax that Org would use for
>   > > this?
>
>   > I am not convinced that it is necessary.
>
> I won't claim it is _necessary_, but it would sure make these constructs
> more convenient.

Maybe. But also more confusing. In org, we can have

#+begin_src latex
#+end_src latex

or

#+begin_export latex
#+end_export

or

#+begin_example latex
#+end_example

or

#+begin: name
#+end:

If we add simplified syntax like

#+latex
#+end latex

or, less consistently with the rest of Org

@latex
@end latex

it is actually not very intuitive that such construct implies export,
but not something else.

In addition, we already have

#+latex: latex one-liner

as a simple form, limited to a single line that avoids

#+begin_export latex
latex one-liner
#+end_export

--