Re: Choice of bug tracker

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: Choice of bug tracker
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2023 02:21:06 +0300

On 31/08/2023 17:09, Michael Albinus wrote:
If they aren't, then which capabilities_are_  important to have that
we don't have on debbugs?
Just the common bug tracker stuff, mostly related to Web UI (allowing
one to easily read and join a discussion, subscribe to it, unsubscribe,
syntax-highlighted code snippets, linking of issues between themselves,
links between issues and commits, closing issues from commits, assigning
issues to specific developers, ...). Also better working search and a
very visible page "latest active issues/discussions".
If those are the main points, perhaps we should also explore the
possibility of adding them to debbugs?
The Guix people have written their own Web UI on top of debbugs.gnu.org,
<https://issues.guix.gnu.org/>. Perhaps you can ask for their view.

Thank you for the reminder. It's a definite improvement over Debbugs's website. And I think it's a little better since I last saw it, too.

Rather interesting on its own, it's a Scheme (Guile) application working on top of the Debbugs database schema (which is apparently just one table, huh).

It's not a very ambitious project (at least judging by the readme: https://git.elephly.net/software/mumi/tree/-//README.org), so it seems we're not very likely to see it grow into something bigger. There is no interaction with the discussions from the browser that I could test (apparently, there is some commenting feature, but it's disabled on Guix's installation).

Either way, it checks off a few items from my list (the "Recent activity" being IMHO the most important, but also better search), so if we could have it in use right now just by snapping a finger, I'd probably vote yes. A definite winner in the category of keeping everybody's workflows as-is while still improving some things.