Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2023 21:16:14 -0400

What you're doing seems like a start at what I hope to have in Emacs.
Thank you for working on it.

However, since I have never used Clojure, I can't tell how much would
remain to be done.  Also, I don't recognize the names of various
packages you used, so I don't know what they do.  More crucially, for
most of them I can't tell whether they are part of Emacs or not.
(They might be in NonGNU ELPA, or not connected with Emacs at all.)
Those questions would determine whether we could include this in
Emacs.

Could you please describe that status?

By the way, everyone, I never intended to try to convince the
developers of Closure mode to contribute that to Emacs.  I started
this discussion because I was told they were unwilling to do that,
and it seemed their decision was firm.  I saw no point in trying to
convince people whose minds were made up.  It would do no good.

Though I never tried to convince them, people assumed I was trying to,
and argued with me for that in a rather aggressive tone.  I hope this
is clear now.

Instead of that, I thought about what WE, the Emacs developers, should
do, given the situation which existed.  And that's still what I am
thinking about.

What the Closure mode developers are willng to do is one factor in
that decision, because it is part of the objective situation.  But
they have chosen not to be part of GNU Emacs as a project.  They don't
think in terms of what is best for Emacs, and they don't have to, but
that is what Emacs decisions should be based on.