Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)

From: Bozhidar Batsov
Subject: Re: Brand new clojure support in Emacs ;-)
Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 22:45:36 +0200

And even if his behavior were problematic, calling your opponent a
"jerk" is far from being kind.  Discussions are a two-way street, and
if you are opposed to unkind words, you should try very hard not to
use them yourself.

I take matters of comm etiquette quite seriously, but when someone starts to take personal swipes at me that's where I draw the line. Hostile behavior should not go unnoticed and I think you, as one of the leaders of the project should try to ensure we have a non-hostile environment. emacs-devel is kind of infamous for the harsh language that's tolerated here and if we want to have a bit more inclusive community some efforts should be invested in curbing hostilities.

It's really hard to have a meaningful conversation when someone is making weird (and wrong) claims about me, my motives and so on. That's something which I really dislike and I'd like us to avoid. In general there shouldn't be "opponents" here, given that supposedly we're on fighting for the same cause.

On Sun, Sep 3, 2023, at 6:16 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> Date: Sun, 03 Sep 2023 17:55:13 +0200
> From: "Bozhidar Batsov" <bozhidar@batsov.dev>
> Cc: "Danny Freeman" <danny@dfreeman.email>, "Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org>,
>  "Dmitry Gutov" <dmitry@gutov.dev>, "Richard Stallman" <rms@gnu.org>,
>  "Emacs Devel" <emacs-devel@gnu.org>

>  All I did was to follow up on a suggested path and study technical ways
>  to getting Clojure editing support in Emacs, better than what we have
>  now, which is 0.  I think is a pretty reasonable thing to do on
>  emacs-devel.  It's not an immoral thing to do and I'm not coming for His
>  Highness The Great Clojure Authority Life's Work.

> Joao, I've tried to be polite, but you behave like a total jerk right now. That's really disappointing as
> you used to be one of my Emacs heroes for a very long time. That makes me very sad. Such attitude
> alienates a lot of people from emacs-devel IMO.

> Eli, I hope you'll agree that such attitude is really counter-productive.

The sarcasm was uncalled for, but other than that, I don't see João's
conduct in this thread as a problem, no.  He proposed a lightweight
alternative to a full-blown clojure-mode, which is a legitimate
proposal.  If nothing else, people could take his code into their init
files and use it locally, if they want.