Re: dynamic-completion-mode doc

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: dynamic-completion-mode doc
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 09:56:44 +0300

> From: Madhu <enometh@meer.net>
> Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2023 10:10:14 +0530
>
> [written up for gnu-emacs-help but posted here on second thoughts]

It should have been submitted as a bug report instead.

> I'm trying to find out what (dynamic-completion-mode) does.
>
> C-h f dynamic-completion-mode
> C-h v dynamic-completion-mode
>
> Only show the boilerplate documentation.

Well, it did say

  Toggle dynamic word-completion on or off.

And that "word-completion" part is not really boilerplate.  But yes,
the doc string was clearly insufficient; I've fixed that now on the
emacs-29 release branch.

You can find the full documentation of this mode in the commentary at
the beginning of completion.el.

> But I cannot understand what the impact of the command is, or what
> changes when minor-mode dynamic-completion-mode is turned on or off.

After turning the mode ON, type at least 3 characters of some symbol
and press M-RET, perhaps several times.  You will see the mode in
action.