Re: package-vc support for :files keyword

From: Philip Kaludercic
Subject: Re: package-vc support for :files keyword
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2023 09:10:00 +0000

Tony Zorman <tonyzorman@mailbox.org> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Philip Kaludercic <philipk@posteo.net> writes:
>> But just like :make and :shell-command, or use-package support was not
>> intended in the beginning, I don't insist on anything as long as a
>> good compromise can be found.  I just have my doubts, since supporting
>> this would probably run against a number of basic assumptions that
>> package-vc was written around.
>
> here's an idea: why not create e.g. a variable to decide when
> :shell-command is executed? Moving the execution to right after cloning
> the repository, instead of before building documentation, would enable
> one to easily emulate :files directives, as well as other keywords that
> need to be executed before things actually get built.
>
> Alternatively one could have a second :shell-command like keyword.

My issue with the first idea would be that this would create a greater
discrepancy between what elpa-admin and package-vc do.  So if anything,
I think only the second option, e.g. :early-shell-command, would be
viable.

In both cases, what would you imagine that the command would do?  If it
just calls "rm foo.el bar.el ...", then we have an issue when upgrading,
because there would at least be a merge conflict any time the other
files are modified upstream.  Upgrading isn't easy the way it is, but
raising the necessity for manual intervention every time is something
I'd like to avoid.  Also, what would a :early-shell-command be used for
on the ELPA build server?

--
Philip Kaludercic