Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?

From: Ihor Radchenko
Subject: Re: Emacs design and architecture. How about copy-on-write?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2023 19:15:27 +0300

Emanuel Berg <incal@dataswamp.org> writes:

>> Sorry, but I am completely lost. Cannot understand what you
>> are trying to propose.
>
> We can't build a new solution filled with exceptions so it
> won't break existing programs that were programmed for
> another solution.

Eli's point is that the new concurrency framework must allow the
existing code to run without modifying it to fit concurrency. Not
necessarily fast (maybe with some interlocking), but at least without
breaking.

Otherwise, making actual use of concurrency will require rewriting a lot
of Elisp, in addition to C-level support, which is too much effort - we
will have to fight many non-obvious problems any time we want to call an
"old" Elisp function from purposely-written async thread.

--
Ihor Radchenko // yantar92,
Org mode contributor,