Re: Just an uninformed question

From: Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez
Subject: Re: Just an uninformed question
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2023 08:09:54 +0200

Hi Stefan,

+/- correct. I want to explore how difficult it would be to _add_ the possibility
of customising eglot with a JSON file in the user-emacs directory. A newbie
learning Emacs Lisp might not find it easy to configure eglot with it and, thus,
may be "tempted away" from it. The idea should be to make it easier for people
to access cool features, not to shy them away because they need a level of
ELisp knowledge they don't have (yet).

Just my .2 cents from trying to attract people to Emacs,
/PA

On Sat, 21 Oct 2023 at 13:59, Stefan Kangas <stefankangas@gmail.com> wrote:
Pedro Andres Aranda Gutierrez <paaguti@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been using eglot for some time now and that has implied playing around
> with different LSPs and their configurations. Before going for the "complex
> things", like project specific settings, I'm working on a one-fits-all my
> needs config and, yes, I've been writing this in elisp, which was somehow
> convoluted (and maybe not optimal for newbies).
>
> How difficult/acceptable would it be to have a e.g.
> `(locate-user-emacs-file "eglot.json")` file holding the basic one-fits-all
> configuration in JSON? This files will always be overwritten with a
> .dir-locals.el file for specific projects, of course.

Sorry, I don't understand what are you proposing.  Do you want to
customize Emacs/eglot in JSON instead of in Emacs Lisp?

Could you please clarify?

--
Fragen sind nicht da, um beantwortet zu werden,
Fragen sind da um gestellt zu werden

Headaches with a Juju log:
unit-basic-16: 09:17:36 WARNING juju.worker.uniter.operation we should run a leader-deposed hook here, but we can't yet