Re: Native compilation on as default?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Native compilation on as default?
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:39:39 +0300

> From: Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com>
> Cc: Andrea Corallo <acorallo@gnu.org>,  Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>,
>   emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:32:38 +0800
>
> I'm not opposed to this in principle, but two precautions are
> prerequisite for instituting such a change.  First, the configure script
> must arrange for native compilation to be disabled if libgccjit is
> unavailable (or else ./configure && make will no longer work)

That goes without saying: we cannot possibly fail a build because a
silly default, can we?

> and second, I think it should be disabled when building from the Git
> repository, for native compilation delays making the Lisp directory
> by a length of time that is unacceptable for Emacs development.

People who work on Emacs development can easily disable native
compilation at configure time, so I don't see any reason to treat a
build from Git specially.  (Also, the fact that someone builds from
Git doesn't necessarily mean he or she is an Emacs developer, not at
all.)

So I think if we decide to make the native-compiling config the
default when libgccjit is available, we could do that as we do with
any other yes-if-available options.