RE: [External] : Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to u

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: [External] : Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2023 15:20:51 +0000

My 2c:

There's a difference between (1) adding &key to
Elisp generally and (2) letting more functions
take advantage of :key and :test, in particular.

(We have :test for `make-hash-table', but I
think that's about it.)

Needing multiple functions to allow for what
:key and :test provide isn't really "simpler".
Likewise for needing positional KEY and TEST
optional args.  :key and :test are convenient.

Heresy or not, I'd welcome more allowance of
them, regardless of any coincidence, or lack
of it, with existing Common Lisp functions.

It would be nice to be able to provide for
their use in user-defined functions, without
any need to load anything from `cl-*'.

Just one stodgy opinion.