Re: ELPA submission: plz-see

From: Adam Porter
Subject: Re: ELPA submission: plz-see
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2023 00:08:52 -0500

  > > > I have it listed here in my elpa packages listing. A very short summary
  > > > from
  > > > the package itself is as follows:
  > > >
  > > > `plz' is an HTTP library for Emacs.

Does having this in ELPA add something significant to Emacs?

         It uses `curl' as a backend, which
  > > > avoids some of the issues with using Emacs's built-in `url' library.

Would it be feasible to improve the `url' library to make `plz' unnecessary?
Would it be feasible to change `url' compatibly to do its work using `plz'?
Either way, we would have just one package for this job, and that would
be simpler than having two.

As you may remember, we had this discussion at the time plz.el was added to GNU ELPA. plz.el is not even the only HTTP client library on ELPA. It was developed after years of consideration of the shortcomings of the existing alternatives, and submitted to GNU ELPA after years of careful development. Since then, it has matured and become a reliable, performant, easy-to-use (if I do say so myself) library that solves several problems in the alternatives, and is used by other ELPA and non-ELPA packages, some of which are widely used.

As has been said on emacs-devel several times over the years, the next significant step in this field would most likely be for Emacs to integrate libcurl directly. Maybe someday that will happen...