Re: [ELPA] New package: dape

From: Daniel Pettersson
Subject: Re: [ELPA] New package: dape
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2023 09:31:02 +0100

On Tue, Nov 7, 2023 at 12:47 PM João Távora <joaotavora@gmail.com>
wrote:

> If I understand correctly, reverse requests _are_ supported in JSONRPC.
> Can you give a short example transcript illustrating such a conversation?

Server ->>
{ "type": "request", "seq": 123, "command": "someCommand",
  "arguments": {...}}

Client ->>
{ "type": "response", "request_seq": 123, "command": "someCommand",
  "success": true, "body": {...}}

> Meaning they put non-JSON cruft in the stdout as well?  Not great, but
> not dramatic, I guess  as long as they don't do it in the middle of the
> message right?

If it breaks the json in half it's a them problem but if not it can be
useful for the user to see when getting a debugging configuration to
work.

See attachment.

> OK.  Then in your opinion what is the easiest (and or most representative)
> DAP server to start playing with?  Hopefully some C/C++ one, but feel
> free to suggest another.

The C/C++ ones are well behaved, attached install and dape-configs for
you to able to pick and choose. They are quite quiet though so for
checking performance vscode-js-debug and debugpy are better
options. But start with the C/C++ ones.

Included attachment with install fns and configs for the C/C++
adapters.

> Extract parts of eglot.el into a reusable library, I guess.
>
> But yes, I would be very glad to see DAP dape.el become the DAP
> coutnerpart to LSP eglot.el, with most analogous abstractions
> having analogous interfaces.  Happy to change eglot.el
> significantly to make that happen (backward-compatibility
> permitting, of course).

Super! But maybe that can wait, jsonrpc seams to me like a higher
priority thing.

For the changes in dape.el to accommodate jsonrpc, I think it would be
beneficial to collaborate on a some type of feature branch.