Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: What's missing in ELisp that makes people want to use cl-lib?
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2023 13:48:34 +0200

On 09/11/2023 12:34, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
As a concrete plan, I would propose the following for discussion:

We should deprecate those functions/macros/variables in cl-lib that have
no doc string, or a substandard one.  This includes "internal" functions,
too.  Also to be deprecated are obscure functions/m/v (such as
cl-labels).

I'm not sure we can remove cl-labels -- it's useful enough for the cases where it does help, and there are callers inside and outside of Emacs.

Whatever other removals, would probably need to be discussed case-by-case.

Having done this, we recode code currently using those deprecated f/m/v.

(Here a "substandard" doc string is contrasted with an adequate one,
which does all of the following:
(i) It says what the function/macro_does_, or what the variable_is_.
(ii) It describes the form and meaning of each parameter, and its
   relationship to (i).
(iii) If the return value is significant, it describes this.
(iv) It describes all effects on the global state, such as where it
   writes results to, and suchlike.)

Improving cl-lib's documentation would be a welcome effort.