Re: Instead of pcase

From: Po Lu
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2023 07:43:50 +0800

Dmitry Gutov <dmitry@gutov.dev> writes:

> Polling professional C developers on whether they are comfortable with
> advanced syntax inspired by high-level languages like ML or Haskell is
> pretty much a self-fulfilling prophecy.
>
> Ask a company of OCaml developers (we have at least one representative
> of such among active contributors), or even a corpus of experienced
> JavaScript developers, the results will be different.

How many O'Caml developers are there?  It's not plausible that they
number greater than C developers (for that matter I don't think there's
any O'Caml software on my computer).

> Anyway, the results confirm what we've been aware of for some time:
> that the documentation for pcase needs work. Jim Porter's list of
> steps should help a lot.

They substantiate in equal measure that pcase itself is ungainly to some
Emacs users--some people here are loath to accept that, but the facts
are what they are.  Whether other Emacs users relish it is beside the
point.