Re: Allowing completion sources to customize completion display

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Allowing completion sources to customize completion display
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 10:47:21 +0200

> From: Eshel Yaron <me@eshelyaron.com>
> Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2023 09:25:19 +0100
>
> How about something like the following?  That seems simple enough and
> gives individual capfs full discretion to specify their selection UI.

IMNSHO, it will be a sad day when different completion sources will
present different completion UI.  There will be no end to user
confusion.

Completion UI is a user preference, and if we want to support
different UIs (as we already do), we should leave it to the user to
specify the UI he/she prefers, and then abide by that.
Completion-related frameworks that cannot work like that should not
pretend being "completion", but some different features, even if they
use completion functions under the hood.