Re: Emacs script options

From: Greg Minshall
Subject: Re: Emacs script options
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2023 11:32:42 -0800

hi, Eli,

> My understanding of this is that one can easily avoid the annoyance of
> having to use "--" by at least two different techniques.
>
> As mentioned in
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2023-11/msg00864.html

there are ways.  they have the random problem here or there.  but, even
if they didn't, i think it would be cleaner, and maybe more robust, to
have something in the "#!/usr/bin/emacs" line that would stop parsing
any Emacs options at the end of that line (rather than looking at any
command line options the end-user gave when invoking the script).

> the proposed feature will change the Emacs behavior in incompatible
> ways, so there's also a significant disadvantage to this proposal.

it's definitely a good idea to not introduce incompatibilities.  (though
i'd be curious to see how people are using "-x" with other Emacs
options, whether on the "#!/usr/bin/emacs" line, or on the command
line.)

how about "-y"? :)

cheers, Greg