Re: Instead of pcase

From: Lynn Winebarger
Subject: Re: Instead of pcase
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2023 14:14:04 -0500

On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, 9:44 PM Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org> wrote:

  > > In particular, what is the reason for the period and inner
  > > parenthsses?  Why doesn't the code say this?

  > > >          > (`(,hookfun ,start ,end ,collection . ,plist)

  > I would think the author is simply emphasizing that [perse is] parsing an
  > entity in an association list for which hookfun is a key.

You may well be right about per intensions, and it is possible that a
person who already fully understands what this code is doing would
have realized that immediately.

But a person who is just starting to look at this code, and reads that
function first, is likely to be impeded in starting to reach that sort
of understanding.

I have to respectfully disagree - dotted pair notation is a pretty fundamental part of LISP syntax, regardless of dialect.  There's no reason I'm aware of (for human-written code) for a dotted pair to have a list in the CDR unless the author is emphasizing the pair as being an entry in an association list.

Lynn