Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2023 20:08:28 +0000

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 7:44 PM T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

> Also, when this ships and surprizes users, how  do we expect those
> users to discover this use-preview knob; even if I found that knob,
> I'd never guess that it waas the means of getting rid of the newly
> introduced friction, ie need to press the enter key.

Yes, exactly.  Though users are sort of expected to read "Incompatible
changes" sections of NEWS, not all do and it is easy to misunderstand
the real relevance of each section.  In this case, the impact is
pretty big, though personally I'm still trying to incorporate this
feature (I know, I've been missing out) and I could probably rewire my
brain more easily than others.

Anyway, I sometimes toy with the idea of proposing doing this much
more conservative remapping by default.

   (global-set-key [remap just-one-space] 'cycle-spacing)

But even this would probably set off alarms in someone's
workflow.