Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Please, Restore Previous Behavior for jump-to-register
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2023 10:55:34 -0500

   > Unless it wasn't clear -- I think it is a bad idea, it makes registers
   > the same as bookmarks.

   I can really emphatize with this.  If we want confirmation prompts, visual
   popups, etc, why don't we add those to bookmark.el?  It already has a
   completing-read UI that is much more suitable for this, and would
   allow these features much more naturally.  There are a bunch of
   completing-read-friendly extensions for bells and whistles out there.

   This would keep the register workflow intact, solve the same code-navigation
   problems and relieve us of multiple patch iterations with complicated
   customization options noone seems to agree on.

E.g., bookmarks does not warn about overwriting an existing bookmark.
That would be a good place for such a warning, and even prompt would
make sense and a change I think nobody would even object to.

Bookmarks doesn't do the whole preview thing, which in it self is nice
even for registers when you only have a delay.  And for bookmarks it
would make even _more_ sense, where for registers it mostly does not
--- "position 17777777" is not very useful in the output even
misleading if you are narrowing your view, for bookmarks this could be
actual line or something.

If the issue is the temporary aspect of registers or not being able to
set bookmarks in some contexts (buffers without a associated file,
e.g.), I'm sure that can be solved by allowing bookmarks and registers
to co-exist in some form and showing that in the bookmark-list/preview
accordingly and then hooking bookmark-set/jump to use the relevant
register functions instead under the hood.

I'm beyond convinced that those who want to use registers with
confirmation really should be using bookmarks and that this change is
simply not needed.