Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: Where to contribute manual translations ?
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2023 18:05:41 -0800

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> Users of non-French locales do not want to see the French manual(s), I
>> think.  OTOH, if I start Emacs with something like
>>
>>     LANG=fr_FR emacs -Q
>>
>> I would probably like to see the french manual.
>
> So what will be in the menu in info/dire we distribute?
>
> And if we are going to have separate directories for each language,
> both under doc/ and under info/, why do we also have to name the files
> FOO-fr.texi or FOO-fr.info?

I had in mind a shared directory for all translations, but we would
compile them to separate directories under info such that

    doc/translations/misc/ses-fr.texi

compiles into

    info/fr/ses-fr.info

In the info/$LANG directories, we would put a separate `dir` file.
Then we could simply add those language specific directories to
`Info-directory-list' based on the locale, I think.

The main purpose of having "ses-fr.texi" is to avoid having several
files with the same file name under version control, which I personally
find very confusing.

I have no strong opinion about the naming of the .info file, but I
thought that from the point of view of info, it would have to be in two
files: `ses´ and `ses-fr`, if they are to co-exist.  Being able to
access both the original and translated manuals at the same time seems
useful.

(I'm open to better ideas than what I present above, of course.)