Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it

From: Stefan Kangas
Subject: Re: master 37889523278: Add new `swap` macro and use it
Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2024 01:18:19 -0800

Po Lu <luangruo@yahoo.com> writes:

> Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:
>
>> Regardless of portability issues, I think the macro should be called
>> SWAP, upper-case, to avoid clashes with functions.
>
> I reverted the change for being impossible to build with compilers
> besides GCC and others implementing its extensions.

Thanks, but whether or not that revert was justified, please stop
reverting patches before people have time to react, or while discussions
are still ongoing.  It is perceived as uncollaborative at best.

If you need to compile the latest changes on master on some unusual
compiler this very morning, you can revert it locally.  So there is no
rush here.

Premature reverts only serve to mess up our git history, in case we need
to re-apply the changes later, and is just a bad way of doing things.

Please see the patch I sent separately, and let me know if you have any
thoughts.